This is a rare, exciting position to join our clients’ research team to develop novel, innovative and ground-breaking biosensing technologies from the ‘wonder material’ graphene.
Our client is a leading developer of graphene thin film electronics and they are looking for an experienced Biosensor Scientist to join their growing technology team. Since its isolation in 2004 graphene has promised continually to reshape the world of electronics but has so far remained an elusive prospect. The company’s vision is to finally bring the game changing capabilities of this material to the world, delivering its extraordinary benefits to global society. Built on ground-breaking advancements in graphene-based technologies the company has a wide range of technology development areas in sectors ranging from green energy generation and storage through to medical instrumentation and diagnostics and far beyond.
Our client seeks driven people who are inspired by the idea of delivering market leading technology. If you have this mindset and believe you can bring your unique skills and ideas to the company, we’d love to meet you and find out if our exciting challenge appeals to you.
What we’re looking for:
We are seeking an individual who can: –
* Apply scientific knowledge to the fabrication and characterisation of biosensors using graphene
* Explore novel surface chemistry and processing to optimise the performance of biosensors for target applications
* Build and evaluate novel device structures and testing methods suitable for graphene biosensors
* Support the Research Manager as required with the daily management of activities
* Manage individual projects, as set out by our technology roadmap
* Compile updates for management team reviews
* Share research through publications and external events
* Document and implement R&D practices, approaches and policies
* Work with external partners and manage their contributions where necessary
With the following skills
Knowledge and experience in biosensing, involving some or all of the following areas:
* Surface chemistry, functionalisation and processing with proteins/enzymes required to fabricate biosensors
* Building, testing and characterisation of biosensors in any form (e.g. optical, electrochemical, magnetic)
* Using and optimising electrochemical techniques to monitor biochemical systems (cyclic-voltammetry/chronoamperometry/electrochemical impedance spectroscopy etc)
* Characterisation using surface analytical techniques (e.g. AFM, Raman, FTIR, XPS)
* Fabrication and characterisation of graphene devices and sensors
* Higher Degree (Masters/PhD) from a leading university in electrochemistry/biochemistry or another related field
* Strong applied, hands-on experimental capabilities
* Considered and organised approach to tasks
* Capability to grasp quickly new scientific concepts and technologies
* Exceptional team player with strong interpersonal skills
* Ability to reflect, learn from mistakes and respond positively to feedback
* Ability to handle several ongoing projects, and can prioritise and organise own workload
* Capability to work autonomously and make considered decisions
Advantageous skills and experience:
* Materials deposition techniques suitable for biosensor fabrication, e.g. screen printing, thermal evaporation
* Imaging and analysis of biomolecular systems
* Experience of bio microelectromechanical systems (bio MEMS).
* Development of ELISA or other immunoassays.
* Experience with microfluidic devices.
* Experience of 2D materials
As a start-up, our client would like you to enjoy the success of the company which you will be helping to build. You will benefit from a generous company share option program, market salary and pension.
This is a fantastic opportunity to make a real difference not only to company performance, strategy and direction but also to the worldwide technology landscape.
If you are interested in helping us develop ground-breaking technology that will change the world, send your CV to . Unfortunately, due to the high number of applications, we won’t be able to give specific feedback to each applicant.
A competitive salary
Company pension scheme
Death in service and private health insurance on successful completion of probation period
25 days annual leave, in addition to the 8 days national holiday
A commitment from the company to provide funded development opportunities offering personal development, for the benefit of both the individual and the company
Employee assist programme offering mental wellbeing services including counselling
Access to a relocation fund (where appropriate)
Access to an IFA for pension advice
Private Healthcare on completion of probation
Great colleagues, a fun place to work and a chance to change the world