Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Our Critical Mission Solutions business – we are invested in you and your success. Everything we do – whether Aerospace, Defence, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications – is more than just a project. It is our challenge as human beings, too. That is why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It is our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world’s greatest challenges and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
We are looking to recruit high calibre staff to bolster our well-established and growing multi-discipline engineering delivery capability to meet opportunities in the nuclear and defence industries. This includes developing buildings and infrastructure solutions through all RIBA stages, in support of air, land and sea defence establishments, the UK nuclear submarine fleet, and both existing and new build nuclear power stations.
We require a Design Manager to lead multi-discipline engineering teams in the engineering, execution and delivery of building and infrastructure projects to time, cost and quality, and support the business needs of the Operating Unit.
Key Responsibilities include:
• Lead multi-discipline design and engineering input to assigned projects, including where relevant, providing technical leadership, coordination and oversight, leading solutions to technical problems, managing input of major package suppliers and subcontractors, and ensuring engineering delivery meets the project scope and requirements, reporting to and supporting the Project Manager.
• Report and be accountable for the assigned projects overall engineering progress, budget, programme, resourcing, client satisfaction, minimisation of rework, and identifying lessons learnt.
• Lead communications on engineering issues with engineering teams, Clients, project stakeholders and Regulators, either directly or via technical specialists.
• Lead engineering/design reviews and Stakeholder engagement/reviews.
• Lead engineering change control in conjunction with the Project Management team.
• Liaison with project services, procurement, construction and other project functions to ensure engineering is executed cost effectively supporting the needs of the whole project.
• Generate and check engineering estimates, programmes and execution strategies to ensure on-time delivery, provide optimal solutions and eliminate errors.
• Leading safety in design and developing a positive safety culture.
• Provide functional support/guidance to more junior staff to develop them as individuals and the capability of the team as a whole.
• Support the Head of Engineering on business development activities including developing business relationships with Clients, identifying work opportunities, and supporting/managing the delivery of proposals from an engineering perspective.
• Professionally qualified (e.g. Chartered) Engineer in a relevant discipline.
• Substantial relevant experience, including design management/project engineering experience in multi-discipline buildings and infrastructure project design work, and first-hand experience of buildings and infrastructure construction projects.
• Good communication skills, both written and verbal, both with colleagues and external stakeholders.
• Ability to lead design aspects of projects including managing quality, budget, programme and resources, with relevant contractual awareness.
• Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team, liaising directly with clients and other design team members.
• Good knowledge of health and safety legislation and good practice
• Proven ability in developing good working relationships with clients, and preparation of bids and proposals.
• Experience of design, assessment and construction of defence and/or nuclear safety related infrastructure.
• Knowledge and experience of supporting projects through national and regional planning processes.
• Experience of feasibility and assessment/optioneering studies.
• Experience of managing production of safety case documentation.
• Experience of managing project BIM requirements.
• Experience of the condition assessment and modification of existing facilities
Candidates shall be non-naturalised British Citizens, shall have been permanently resident in the UK for the preceding five years, and will be required to get SC level security clearance.
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit (url removed) to view and access our roles.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please contact the team here.#jacobscmsjob
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected