We Mean Business Coalition (The GreenJobs Network of Websites)
PLEASE MENTION THE GREENJOBS NETWORK OF WEBSITES WHEN APPLYING TO THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Energy and Transport Manager
LOCATION: Remote (Central European Time +/- 6 hours)
REPORTS TO: Managing Director, Systems Transformation
HOURS PER WEEK (AVERAGE): Full time
We Mean Business is a global nonprofit coalition working with the world’s most influential businesses to take action on climate change. Together we catalyze business leadership to drive policy ambition and accelerate the transition to a zero-carbon economy.
The Systems Transformation team develops and direct overall strategy, coordination and execution of the coalitions programs, system transformation activities and supply chain actions. We work across hard to abate sectors such as industry or heavy transport, but also at system level through sectors such as power and nature based solutions.
A key component of attaining a global emissions pathway commensurate with the ambition of the Paris Agreement is decarbonizing both passenger and freight movements. Similarly, while the power sector is rapidly transforming through wind and solar deployment we will need to speed up development and deployment of other technologies and forms of energy.
Transport and energy are exciting areas to be working within as part of WMB. We currently fund strong programs such as RE100 and EV100, and these are already sending strong demand signals. We and now moving to funding new areas such as electrifying heavy road transport, decarbonizing the broader freight supply chain, renewable heat and hydrogen.
The Energy and Transport Manager will direct and coordinate the overall approach for the WMB coalition on these two systems. This role will coordinate with our key NGO partners, other coalitions such as the Mission Possible Partnership and companies to facilitate the journey to deployment of solutions that put us on a 1.5 degrees trajectory and net zero emissions.
Responsibilities & Tasks
The manager reports to the Managing Director, Systems Transformation and will be responsible for leading delivery on a set of KPIs over the next two years. Working with and through the WMB coalition partners, the manager will:
• Maintain a mapping of relevant initiatives across WMB coalition partners and beyond, identifying opportunities to work together and develop strategic partnerships for WMB.
• Ensure a shared understanding of each system among WMB coalition partners, the priority levers and ways in which WMB can best add value across these systems.
• Update the coalition’s system-level strategy and focus areas as needed.
• Develop and maintain the WMB action plans together with partners, ensure tracking mechanisms are in place and follow up to measure progress and ensure impact.
• Collaborate with WMB communications and policy teams to develop system-level narrative for net zero energy and transport systems as well as policy priorities for key regions.
• Support WMB coalition partners and secretariat in scanning the horizon for shifts in the business environment that impact strategy and funding choices.
• Represent WMB in various coalitions and initiatives to support collective impact, promote alignment of activities and influence strategy.
• Manage the granting process for projects across energy and transport, reviewing proposals to ensure applications align with WMB strategy, tracking project progress, and ensuring mutual expectations are met in a timely and professional manner.
Skills & Approach
• Demonstrated project management and leadership skills necessary to work across teams and organizations
• Effective written and oral communication skills (English is the working language)
• Strong intellectual curiosity and solution-oriented thinking
• Solves problems with bold, thoughtful, and active approach to systems-based thinking
• Ability to convene, mediate and facilitate discussions among senior stakeholders
• A partnership mindset and service mentality; naturally connects and builds strong relationships with diverse internal and external audiences, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence
Experience + Education
• Master’s Degree in relevant field or equivalent work experience
• >10 years experience focused on energy and/or transport
• Excellent understanding of one of the systems and good knowledge of the other
• Experience of working within or closely with multinational companies on sustainability
• Experience of working within or closely with global initiatives on climate change
• Previous exposure to regulatory processes and mechanisms on climate change
• Prior experience with remote-work a plus
How To Apply
Submit your cover letter and resume by clicking Apply Now below. Applications will be considered starting on a rolling basis.
Benefits and compensation vary per region and are competitive with local prevailing packages. Regardless of location, team members get equipment stipends to ensure they are set up wherever they may be working from, generous time off, and paid parental leave.
Diversity at WMB
We Mean Business is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We are a project of the New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF and WMB are committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
TO APPLY PLEASE CLICK THE “APPLY NOW” BUTTON AND YOU WILL BE REDIRECTED TO BEGIN THE APPLICATION PROCESS