If you’re looking for a finance job that’s more than just numbers, WHSmith adds up. The team supports both the High Street and Travel businesses, plus whsmith.co.uk. And that’s not all. With franchises, new acquisitions, the International business and Funky Pigeon, Finance is wide-ranging, making a huge impact on business decisions!
We are looking to recruit a bright and highly motivated individual to join the Group Finance team, based at our London Head Office near Liverpool Street. Reporting to the Group Chief Accountant, the Group Financial Analyst will be an integral part of the Group Finance team with involvement in all areas of Group reporting.
What you’ll be doing:
• You’ll contribute to the production of an accurate and timely Group Management accounts pack -consisting of P&L, Balance Sheet and Cashflow and analysis against budget for presentation to the Board.
• Assist with management of Group consolidation system (Oracle FCCS), including process and controls improvements
• Year end & Interim Results – assist with the production of year end and interim announcements to meet our external statutory reporting requirements, including the Group Annual report
• Assist with production of Group budget and forecasts.
• Assist with production of all UK subsidiary statutory accounts. Act as a key point of contact for external auditors.
• Involvement in ad hoc projects, to support both Group finance and business unit finance teams (recent projects have included adoption of IFRS 16, implementation of new consolidation system, acquisition of US businesses).
• Involvement with ad hoc Board papers such as accounting updates for the Audit Committee etc, as well as ad hoc technical advice for the business units. This will involve keeping abreast of changes to IFRS, UKGAAP and Companies Act, including attending technical update courses and events organised by the external auditors where appropriate.
Who we’re looking for:
• ACA qualified accountant – newly qualified (up to 1 year PQE), mid-tier or Big 4 trained
• Experience of Group consolidation (multi-currency an advantage)
• Excellent attention to detail, and ability to prioritise effectively, efficiently and most importantly achieve tight deadlines.
• Excellent analytical skills and be very comfortable on Excel, able to manipulate and report complex financial data into a reportable format.
• Good knowledge of IFRS, UK statutory accounts and relevant disclosure requirements, including understanding of IFRS 16.
• Confident engaging communicator, who is able to build relationships and present financial information clearly, confidently and concisely.
• Enthusiastic self-starter looking for their first move into industry, and ready to take on the steep learning curve presented by a FTSE-listed group function.
What’s in it for you?
You’ll be at of the hub of an incredibly fast-moving function and you’ll be trusted to make decisions that benefit the business. It’s a serious responsibility – which will seriously motivate you. You’ll thrive on the freedom and the chance to use your skills and will be supported with plenty of training and development opportunities. What’s more, you can expect some fab rewards, including an achievable annual bonus, 25 days’ holiday (and the option to buy more), private medical insurance and a car allowance. Plus, a competitive pension, the perks of your birthday off and an early finish on Fridays, and lots more!