Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S)
Job description for Head of Software Centre of Excellence
A dynamic and progressive opportunity has arisen within DE&S, for an engineer with software and leadership experience in the Air environment. The DE&S Airworthiness Team (DAT) are looking for someone who can lead the Software Centre of Excellence (CoE). As a professional in the Engineering Function and part of the DAT senior leadership team, you will have the opportunity to enhance and share your skills/expertise and provide support to the Delivery Teams working within DE&S Air Environment, which includes Combat Air, Air Support, and Helicopters Operating Centres.
Responsibilities for Head of Software Centre of Excellence
As the Head of Software Centre of Excellence, you will be responsible for:
• Providing advice and guidance to Delivery Teams in the Air environment for Programmable Elements (PE) (Software and Complex Electronic Hardware) of their projects.
• Interfacing with the Defence Safety Authority, on regulation, standards and policy relating to PE.
• Directly supporting Delivery Teams at critical points in their programmes and providing assurance of the PE.
• Leading in the development of consistent and coherent processes that deliver effective, safe & efficient integration of PE onto aircraft in accordance with relevant regulations.
• Leading in the development and maintenance of practical and accessible tools and guidance for the user community.
• Identifying opportunities to align approaches to PE development and certification with other Domains and Corporate Engineering.
• Identifying the competence set required for Air Domain PE Acquisition; working with Domain Functional Managers to modify extant competence framework. Act as sponsor for Air Domain PE Acquisition Practitioner Training requirements and course content.
• Identifying suitable learning and development opportunities (including Industry) to raise the competence of the community.
• Leading the Air Domain Software Community of Interest as an opportunity for sharing and developing good practice.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• Level 6 qualification in a relevant Science or Engineering discipline or equivalent experience.
• Successful candidates should be Chartered with a recognised Engineering institute OR must be working at this level so CEng can be achieved within 12 months
• Successful applicants will be able to demonstrate extensive and relevant experience of delivering safety related PE compliant to either civil and/or military standards and demonstrate knowledge of the processes supporting assurance and certification of PE
It would benefit your application if you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Familiarity with Airworthiness Security Requirements and assessment of Cyber threats to Operational Technology in the Air Environment
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Improving Engineering Capability
• Technical Risk Management
• Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.