At Deloitte, we recognise the investment you have made in developing your skills and knowledge through your chosen programme of study in Economics and/or Econometrics. We are looking for sharp minds to join our transport economics team. Our transport economics team has grown rapidly over the last two years and has emerged as one of the leading transport economics advisory practices in the UK. The team has advised on many of country’s most important and high-profile questions in transport economics, for example as the advisors to the root-and-branch Williams Review of the rail industry.
The role will be based in the Economic Advisory team, within the Advisory Corporate Finance service line of Deloitte UK’s Financial Advisory business. EC comprises of over 50 economists, covering Public, TMT, Infrastructure (of which transport is a key part) and Financial Services sectors, and is part of Deloitte’s Global Economic Advisory network.
The work is varied and delivers real value through the following areas in transport: economics of strategy and policy; impact assessment and appraisal; funding and financing; regulation; cost and revenue modelling; pricing and incentives; and competition and disputes. The team’s experience covers rail, roads, aviation, maritime and/or local/regional transport. Our technical skills in these areas are combined with Deloitte’s deep financial, strategic and industry understanding to create a potent, and unique, package that can be applied across the spectrum of industry.
For more information about Deloitte Economic Advisory please see our website.
We encourage consideration of flexible ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that allow for the best outcomes for our people and our clients. If this opportunity is of interest to you with some flexibility, please do discuss with us.
Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
The EC team has a cross-sectoral intrafirm growth strategy in several geographies. Due to growth in the transport sector, an opportunity has arisen for a Manager to join the team.
The successful candidates will contribute by managing assignments involving a range of economic and policy issues in the transport sector. He/she will take some responsibility for business development initiatives, supporting EC leadership in developing further the business.
The successful candidate will have:
• Proven experience working as a professional economist in the transport sector (rail, roads, aviation, maritime and/or local/regional transport) – this could have been gained as an economist in government, a regulator, industry and/or consultancy.
• Experience in one or more of the follow in a transport context:
o economics of strategy and policy;
o economic impact assessment and appraisal (for example DfT’s TAG framework and/or having applied the principles of HMT’s recently refreshed Green Book);
o funding and financing;
o economic regulation;
o cost and revenue modelling;
o environmental economics;
o pricing and incentives; and
o competition and disputes.
• Good report writing and presentation skills.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Willingness to travel domestically/internationally for brief periods.
• Apply your analytical skills to solve complex problems.
• Work in a challenging environment with like-minded people at the leading edge of economic thinking.
• Work on a varied mix of challenging engagements on a project basis.
• Develop solutions through debate and discussion in teams and with clients.
• Continue with your professional development throughout your career through a training investment.
• Managing diverse teams within an inclusive team culture where people are recognised for their contribution.
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
Your home office will either be London or Cambridge, but this client-facing role provides lots of opportunity for travel in the UK and overseas.
This is a permanent contract opportunity.
The role can be worked on a full-time basis.
Your professional experience
To qualify for the role you must have:
• Relevant qualifications and/or post graduate qualifications in Economics
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• The desire to apply analytic and economic skills to real life problems
For a full job description please visit our online Deloitte Careers porta.
Requisition code: 181329