As Cities & Places, we create thriving places across different scales: from regions to cities, neighbourhoods to individual buildings, by offering an integrated design approach. We are building upon strength to develop an interdisciplinary planning, design and delivery practice that is uniquely Jacobs, that sets the direction for the industry, and is home to the very best and brightest design thinkers, disruptors, technical experts, visionaries and storytellers. Cities and Places deliver exciting and challenging projects across a broad range of sectors including transport infrastructure, defence, education, research and technology.
Our business unit brings together engineers, architects, designers, surveyors, urban designers, project managers, transport planners and other specialists to provide collaborative and coordinated value design solutions for our clients both nationally and internationally.
This opportunity is for a Mechanical Engineer with strong Client interfacing skills. The successful candidate will play a role in providing design delivery and discipline integration of projects delivered by the Cities and Places business. Using excellent technical experience and communication skills, the candidate will manage projects and supervise less experienced engineers to produce designs and associated deliverables for projects and ensure that Jacobs maintains the highest technical standards, levels of service and quality.
Key requirements for this role are strong communication skills with a collaborative working and positive, can-do attitude. Regular check-in meetings to review progress, design development and decisions, and to constructively resolve any blockers with project teams and leads will be essential and form part of your day to day work ethic. You will need to be able to work independently and take responsibility for decision-making and output deliverables. Strong design coordination and collaboration skills with the ability to work and assume a key role within multi-disciplinary design teams is also a key aspect of this role.
As a member of the regional Building Services design team, the candidate plays a crucial role in the delivery of technical solutions, acting in support of the Building Services team leads. The candidate will be responsible for:
• Carrying out or guiding and overseeing the production of designs and specifications on a variety of projects using a range of software products and skills
• Developing high quality sustainable building engineering services designs, calculations, technical notes and reports
• The delivery of technical outputs of projects and the seamless sharing of information with other discipline teams
• Ensuring technical quality through implementation of best practice and continuous improvement processes
• Presenting work to clients through reports and presentations
• Undertaking client facing project lead roles
• Representing Jacobs in liaising with clients, architects and other design team members
• Develop talent by coaching and supervising less experienced staff and supporting their technical career development aspirations
• Assisting with or leading project management
• Considering and integrating health, safety, and environmental factors in all aspects of our work
• Working in a respectful and collaborative style with all other team members, wherever they are based
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
• Experience in the design and specification of mechanical building services systems to relevant standards and codes of practice
• Understanding and experience of BIM, use of associated software, tools and specific discipline design software to facilitate optimised design solutions
• Chartered Engineer and member of recognised professional institution (e.g. CIBSE)
• Ability in design and delivery of projects to a high quality, from concept to completion
• Ability and desire to challenge and drive sustainable design
• Ability to lead a team of engineers and designers
• Ability to work as part of a team, liaising directly with clients and other design team members
• Ability to plan tasks and manage project team budgets
• Working knowledge of all other Building Services disciplines and good understanding of other buildings disciplines
• Ability to consider safety in design and develop design solutions to eliminate health and safety risks
• Ability to research and work on own initiative
• Self-motivated to develop own career through continued self-learning and business development activities
• Ability to travel
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit (url removed) to view and access our roles.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected