Reports to: Plant Manager
Direct Reports: None
Indirect Reports: Operators, Maintenance personnel, apprentices (as required)
Hours of Work: Shift pattern operated on a 12hr working shift to cover a 24/7 rota, based upon a contracted 40 hours per week
This role is to support the operations, ongoing engineering development and maintenance of the advanced energy site, with the intention that the plant is maintained and operated to the highest possible performance, quality, health and safety, and environmental standards. These requirements necessitate a flexible and adaptive working approach both to developing solutions to challenges and working patterns whilst promoting a positive workplace culture.
Responsibilities and accountabilities:
* To take direction from the Plant Manager as to the work needed and timelines required,
* Lead and oversee all shift activities including Plant and Control Room operations and maintenance, to ensure that all activities are undertaken to the highest performance, quality, health and safety, and environmental standards.
* Organise and undertake, in consultation with the Plant Manager, all required work activities (including routine, preventative maintenance, installation works, etc.), ensuring that tasks are prioritised and completed in a timely way to ensure that the plants schedules are fully met.
* Ensure that works are undertaken in accordance with safe methods of work, using standard operating procedures, correct PPE, and safety assessments, and help develop these safe methods of work where they do not exist,
* Monitor and report progress.
* Update and maintain accurate records, including audits, inspections, maintenance records, calibration records, plant operations data, turnaround data, documents and drawings relating to the plant. Collating and logging all information appropriately as agreed.
* Organise the preparation of and record quantities of all materials needed (inc. chemicals, gases, feedstocks, etc.), reporting any deficiencies in a timely manner to permit early resolution.
* Record quantities of all materials produced (inc. slag, APC residue, effluent, bed sand, other wastes, etc.), co-ordinating with the Operations Manager for their safe storage and disposal.
* Use of the stock management system and ensure that key stocks and consumables are maintained at appropriate levels, reporting any stock shortage or equipment failures or other deficiencies in a timely manner to permit early resolution.
* Assist in ensuring skills and competence are relevant by undertaking and applying suitable training and development.
* Contribute to the engineering design, development and implementation of new and existing equipment, and comply with the needs of the change management process for the plant,
* Participate in safety assessments and meetings (e.g. Hazop and risk assessments) relating to plant modifications, additions etc.,
* Maintain the working environment in a safe, clean condition, including organising periodic cleaning of operational and welfare areas.
* Take personal responsibility for the quality and completion of the work tasks given to the Operations team.
* Actively seek and identify opportunities for improvement to plant operations and agree corrective actions with the Plant Manager.
* Lead by example, and manage shift operators performance to ensure the team is working efficiently and effectively.
* To participate in activities, as required from time-to-time, that are not standard but assist in the development of the plant or the business.
Key abilities for job:
* Ideally, Electrical, Instrumentation/Controls or Mechanical qualifications (HNC or above)
* Work flexibly in terms of working patterns, location, and reporting lines, to ensure that the plant is adequately manned at all times, including being on call.
* Organise, monitor and report the work activities of others.
* Fully understand the operation and equipment of the plant process.
* Accurately report any records requested by the Plant Manager or Development and Maintenance Manager.
* Willingness to undertake training to ensure safe operation of equipment (e.g. forklift, compressed gases, CoSHH, pressure systems, COMPEX and/or obtain statutory certificates.).
* Ability to use mobile plant (especially forklifts).
* IT skills (especially MS Office, and ideally SCADA and/or DCS systems).
* Experience in successfully managing a team, including performance and conduct.
* Adequate knowledge of business and management principles including budgeting, strategic planning, resource allocation and human resources