Gloucestershire County Council
Social Worker Grade: Grade 8 About the Job
· To work closely with children, young people and their families, other staff within the service function and partner agencies to provide support and protection for children and young people in need and at risk.
· To promote a range of services which carry out statutory duties as required by legislation and guidance.
· To assess the needs of children, young people and families to plan and implement suitable multi-agency interventions and service provisions to meet need and review outcomes.
This is what we need you to do…
· Build positive relationships with children and their families through direct work to ensure that their voices, wishes and feelings are heard.
· Provide a clear, accurate and holistic assessment of a child and their family needs in line with statutory and local guidance and in collaboration with the child, their family and other agencies.
· Develop SMART plans with children and their families to balance risk factors and needs to achieve outcome focussed interventions.
· To undertake direct work with children, young people and families in order to manage risk and achieve the sustained and positive outcomes identified in assessments and plans.
· Prepare high quality reports for relevant meetings and to present them to a variety of other professionals.
· Prepare high quality statements and paperwork for legal proceedings and be able to represent the child, young person and their families and the council in court and other settings.
· Update and maintain high quality case files on LiquidLogic ensuring that all key information about the child’s circumstances and plans are recorded within timescales and comply with the Data Protection Act.
· Continue to monitor and review the progress of plans and outcomes for children and young people.
· Registration with HCPC and enhanced DBS.
· Nature of the post requires flexibility to meet urgent work needs as they arise. This will inevitably entail some work outside normal office hours and other locations across Gloucestershire.
· Must hold a driving licence and have access to a car.
· Post holder must meet the competency based criteria.
The ideal candidate will have:
· Significant experience of working with children, young people and families.
· Experience of working in a social care setting.
· Experience of child protection and statutory child care.
· Experience of assessment and management of risk to children within practice.
Knowledge, Skills and Understanding
· Knowledge of all relevant legislation and guidance.
· Knowledge of recent developments in social care practice with children and families.
· Have an understanding of child focussed approaches to practice.
· Have an understanding and knowledge of outcome focussed approaches to interventions.
· Understanding of how the family justice system works.
· Knowledge of child development.
· Knowledge of assessment, guidance and process.
· Ability to analysis and address complex family situations.
· Effective assessment skills relating to work with children and families
· Effective verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to organise and prioritise workload in conjunction with line manager.
· Ability to work as part of a team.
· Ability to communicate effectively and creatively with children.
· Ability to work with staff and managers at all levels.
· Through assessment and planning ensure that the risk to children is understood and there is an active plan to manage this.
· Demonstrate good practice in the application and understanding of identity and diversity.
Education and Qualifications
Monitoring and ongoing development of outcomes
As part of the annual appraisal, outcome based targets will be developed in conjunction with the post holder and will supplement this job profile. The job profile will be subject to regular review and the council reserves its right to amend or add to the accountabilities listed above.