HR Wallingford (The GreenJobs Network of Websites)
PLEASE MENTION THE GREENJOBS NETWORK OF WEBSITES WHEN APPLYING TO THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Water Resources Scientist – Floods & Water
Are you an enthusiastic and highly motivated person looking for a new opportunity as a Water Resource Scientist?
We have a fantastic opening for the right person to join our team of flood and water management experts, solving some of the world’s most pressing water-related problems. In particular, we are looking for someone who is passionate about water resources and the environment and supporting a wide range of exciting projects in this area.
About the role
You would join our water resources and environment team and support the delivery of research and consultancy in water resources, hydrology, climate change impacts modelling and decision-making under uncertainty. You will be involved in developing and implementing solutions for our Clients, undertaking data analysis, modelling, scripting and consultation to support.
Responsibilities as a Water Resources Scientist include:
– Managing and delivering technical water resources projects for UK clients including hydrological and water supply system modelling, supply-side assessments, option appraisals, demand forecasts, drought resilience analysis and climate change impact assessments. Role will involve establishing and developing relationships across the industry, business development and writing of proposals
– Managing and delivering external and in-house research projects related to water resources, developing innovative solutions and tools for the short and medium term. Role will involve developing research proposals and maintaining links with the research community
– Managing and support the delivery of international projects and contributing to our ambitions to expand our international portfolio.
You will have:
– A good degree in a relevant discipline e.g. Civil/Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, Geography (a higher degree in a relevant discipline such as hydrology or water resources would be advantageous);
– Technical knowledge, experience and a strong interest in hydrology and water resources including the application and/or development of numerical models;
– Programming experience, ideally with demonstrable skills in Python and/or the R statistical package, and a keen interest in using these skills in the development and implementation of innovative solutions to water resources planning;
– Experience and confidence in data analysis and dealing with large volume data sets;
– Knowledge and interest in decision-making methods for strategic planning under uncertainty;
– Good attention to detail, record keeping, presentation and report writing skills; and
– Ability to work within a team to deliver a common goal
Developing a career in the water resources field and contributing to the growth of this part of the business will be part of the opportunity we offer for your future. Training and development will be an important feature of the role to further develop your skillset in your chosen career path.
We are interested in relevant applicants looking for either part time, full time or fixed term employment. Helping our people achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us, and we would be happy to explore flexible working and job share arrangements. Please talk to us about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We deliver smart solutions wherever water interacts with people, infrastructure and the environment. Our specialist research and consultancy services help to protect vulnerable communities, improve lives and create resilience in the built and natural environments.
It’s our exceptional people that make us who we are. We are a diverse team, working together to push the boundaries of conventional thinking. We are innovators, bridging the gap between academia and industry. As a not-for-profit company, we don’t have shareholders; instead our profits are used to fuel our research and to develop our people, our tools and our technology. We value the independence this brings us; we have the freedom to make decisions that sustain our colleagues, our business and our environment in the long term, creating a company that we are all proud to be part of.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our workplace. We do not discriminate, and work to create an inclusive culture across our business.
Our excellent benefits package includes:
– A defined contribution pension scheme with minimum 10% contribution from the employer (up to 15% with matched funding)
– Life insurance x 3 salary (subject to eligibility rules)
– 22 days holiday, plus three days discretionary company holiday and eight bank holidays,
– Permanent health insurance (subject to eligibility rules).
– Flexible working hours which allows for additional leave to be taken subject to hours accrued and business needs
– Onsite restaurant, gym and nursery.
– Active sports and social club.
– Cycle to work scheme.
– Employee Assistance Programme
TO APPLY PLEASE CLICK THE “APPLY NOW” BUTTON AND YOU WILL BE REDIRECTED TO BEGIN THE APPLICATION PROCESS