About the Role
Base Location: Aberdeenshire, Highlands & Islands, Perthshire, Moray – ideally, we need your base location to be close to one of our offices (Glasgow, Aberdeen, Inverness, Wick or Perth)
Salary: £49,559 – £56,757 depending on skills/experience + car/car allowance + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent Full Time Flexible First options available
What is the Role?
As a Design Engineer within the Large Capital Delivery team, you will be responsible for the design of a number of Customer Connections and Capital Asset replacements / reinforcements, from initial high level scope up to 33kV system design, outage planning, CDM, Safety, and Risk management, financial analysis and forecasting and assisting with the construction and closure phases of projects above £2.5m. Our responsibility is to develop designs in compliance with our group governance and LCP processes, driving value for money in the design and building of a net zero network. As our Design Engineer, you will:
– Manage each project’s financial forecasting, safety management, programming and scheduling, with monthly reporting.
– Comply with SSEN Governance for all design elements whilst assisting with Construction, land consents, Quality Assurance, public relations tender management, and ensure compliance to current CDM Regulations.
– Review of, and approving incoming designs from consultants and 3rd parties, ensuring fully workable designs are produced for construction.
– Have an understanding of, and contribute to the legal, environmental, and consents processes for land-based cable and overhead line work.
– Maintain high professional and quality standards and contribute to the development of others as required of the role.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we’re looking for you to have:
– Experience in the design and specification of Underground Cable and Overhead Line schemes up to 33kV, as a designer or recently developed within an operational role.
– An HNC or Degree level qualification in an engineering or relevant subject with knowledge of the Electricity Distribution Network or experience from working in an ICP, IDNO, or other supplier to the industry.
– Recent CAD experience in a technical or design role, able to carry out designs, SLD’s and carry out own document management, with minimal supervision.
– Experience in applying the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 to technically complex projects.
– A working knowledge of contracting & procurement methods and the necessary input to these at the design stage, such as with NEC3 type contracts.
– A delivery focussed mindset with good communication skills and the ability to thrive under pressure.
About our Business
SSEN Distribution powers 3.8 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 3,500 people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital to achieving net-zero. By enabling a smarter, more resilient electricity network we’re ensuring our local communities continue to receive the power they need, both now and in the future. We are consistently investing and innovating to improve network resilience and future-proof power supplies for life’s changing demands, from rolling out large scale EV charging schemes to supporting small community generation projects.
What’s in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for ‘Inclusion & Diversity at SSE’ to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I’ll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Louise on .
Before commencing your role with SSE, you’ll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.