Kinross, Perth & Kinross
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible UK We’re proud to offer a Flexible First approach to work, and this role is no exception. We will, however need your base ‘home’ location to be one of our SSEN offices or depots around the UK.
Salary: £49,559 – £56,757 + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent Full Time Flexible First options available
Embedded within the Networks business, the Operational Technology team design, implement and support the business critical Operational Technology systems necessary to monitor and control plant and safety systems.
As an OT Technical Engineer, you’ll provide technical support for projects, assisting with the design, implementation and commissioning of Information Technology (IT) and Operational Technology (OT) solutions (including IT / OT software, hardware and security), primarily focussed on our Active Network Management systems.
Key responsibilities for this role will include:
– Analysing system requirements.
– Formulating solution design (in line with project specifications and defined IT / OT security architectures).
– Organise or manage solution development (including real-time software, IT/OT hardware, data network and security equipment).
– Coordinate project delivery (adopting agile methods).
– Assist with site installation works, as necessary.
The role may develop / expand over time and could present a great opportunity for someone with an IT / OT technical background who is familiar with different project methodologies and may be seeking to transition to an Agile Project Manager role in future.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role we would love you to have:
– A recognised qualification in an Engineering, Computing or Science based subject – Degree level (preferred).
– Experience in the design, configuration, installation and commissioning of IT and OT solutions (including real-time monitoring and control systems software, server infrastructure, data networks and security technologies). Familiarity with various Operating Systems (including Windows Desktop, Windows Server, Linux) would be advantageous.
– An understanding of OT cyber-security requirements, in order to ensure delivery of safe and secure project solutions.
– An understanding of different project management methodologies and how these are applied appropriately for large and small projects, coupled with experience of FAT and SAT techniques and associated documentation.
– A working understanding of risk assessment and risk management processes.
– Knowledge of network protocols and awareness of industrial SCADA protocols (such as DNP3, ICCP and OPC) would be advantageous.
The successful candidate will have the ability to engage effectively with IT and OT technical subject matter experts to manage, coordinate and supply project deliverables (according to established Change Management process and procedures).
About our Business
SSEN Distribution powers 3.8 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 3,500 people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital to achieving net-zero. By enabling a smarter, more resilient electricity network we’re ensuring our local communities continue to receive the power they need, both now and in the future. We are consistently investing and innovating to improve network resilience and future-proof power supplies for life’s changing demands, from rolling out large scale EV charging schemes to supporting small community generation projects.
What’s in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for ‘Inclusion & Diversity at SSE’ to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I’ll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Laura on .
Before commencing your role with SSE, you’ll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.